Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Do Our Doggies Dream ?



Jasmine getting ready to go to bed!



Your dog is fast asleep, when suddenly he starts whimpering, moving his legs or tail, or engaging in some other odd behavior. Could your dog be dreaming?

The scientist think so -- in fact, they believe that dogs not only dream as we do, but also that they dream similarly to us, meaning that they replay moments from their day while they're fast asleep.

I have two dogs of my own and I personally think that dogs do dream.   I have a 1/2 German Shepard 1/2 Black Lab, in which that is her in the top picture.  My other dog is a small one, he is a Chihuahua.  When Jasmine is sleeping on the bed with me, her legs are always twitching and she makes this little noise.  My husband says she is dreaming.  My smaller dog not so much.  I really think they do dream.  I just wish there was a way to know what they dream about.  I think that would be cool.


What do you think dogs could be dreaming about?


Let's see if I had to guess about what they could be dreaming about.  I would have to guess it would be about running free in a huge field or maybe playing and running with other dogs.  I kind of wish that they would come out with a little device to put on the dogs leg and track the dream or sleep pattern.  They make all that for us, o why not one for the dogs. I just think it would be neat to learn about dog's dreams.

Well back in 2001, some researchers trained rats to run a maze and measured their brain activity. Later they measured the brain activity while they were in rapid-eye movement sleep, the sleep cycle in which humans experience dreams. They found that the brain activity was the same as when the rats were running, leading researchers to conclude that the rats were dreaming about the maze they ran earlier that day. 


HOW OFTEN DO DOGS DREAM?


When it comes to how often dogs dream, apparently size matters. According to Coren, small dogs, like Chihuahuas, tend to dream more often during one night, with a new dream about every ten minutes, than large dogs. Vetstreet further reports that puppies and senior dogs dream more often than middle-aged dogs.


Should You Wake Up Your Dog While Dreaming?


Well if your dog is sleeping and dreaming, you should just follow  old adage, " let sleeping dogs lie."  Well you know how you wake from a dream, startled.  Well that also goes for our dogs too.  With the dog being startled from the dream it could accidentally bite you from being startled out of it.  So just let your dog stay sleeping!

I would love to know if you have dog(s) ad if you have see them ever dream.  Come and share your dog's picture ad anything else you would love to share.  I would love looking at your doggies picture.


Meet Brownie........
Yes he let's me dress him up also.  He is the best dog ever!





No comments:

Post a Comment